Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Finished Object: Pawprint Socks



The Specs:
Pattern: Basic toe up socks, using Judy's Magic Cast On from Knitty and a pawprint motif from WendyKnits! (I'd link, but I'm lazy.) Short row heels and twenty rounds of knit two purl two ribbing at the top.
Yarn: Opal Dreamcatcher, Color 1235, 75% superwash wool, 25% nylon. I used the majority of a skein, but I could probably get a pair of baby booties out of the rest of it.
Colors: Color #1235, a dark blue, dark gray, white, and bright blue stripping yarn.
Needles: Size US 1s, bamboo.
Start to Finish: Started back in November, I think on the 14th, and completed on April 2nd.
For: My mother
Notes: I hate toe-up socks. Never again. The cast on is way too fiddly and I had major trouble getting the bindoff to be stretchy enough to let human legs wear the socks but firm enough to keep the socks from falling down. I loved the color and enjoyed the pawprint motif, even though I regularly messed up when I forgot where I was, what I was doing, how to knit.. You know, the usual. I am very pleased with how well the pattern matches. I also realized that I need to start writing down my numbers so that all aspects of my socks will match. Like how many stitches to wrap for the heel, for example. That's an AWESOME number to write down, because that's also a hard number to count on a finished sock.



And let us ignore the pasty-whiteness that is my skin color. It gets darker in the summer, but I still have my heat on since I dislike frostbite.

1 comment:

  1. ooooh! so cute!

    how can you hate toe up socks???? you don't have to worry about running out of yarn, and they go sooo much faster. at least it seems that way.

    I used to have the bind off problem until I found this - elizabeth zimmermans sewn cast off.

    ReplyDelete