Friday, January 30, 2009

Homework IS fun!

I may be doing homework on a Friday night, but I am still greatly entertained. See:

I'm reading about the role of the library, if libraries should allow and encourage fiction reading, and library usage. In the process, I've found these gems:

"Compared with library users, for example, nonusers are more apt to dislike change, do not want to try new things, avoid foreign locales, and are suspicious of communists and hippies." (emphasis mine)

And:

"Here in rank order are the activities, interests, and opinions that correlated most strongly with nonuse of the library by women:

  1. All men should be clean shaven every day.
  2. I get satisfaction out of cleaning.
  3. TV is my primary source of entertainment.
  4. I often wish for the good old days.
  5. I like the look of a large lamp in a picture window. (again, emphasis mine.)
  6. I don't feel safe outside home at night."

Those two statements have me snickering into my beer as I do homework.  Who says grad school isn't fun?

Quotes from: Ross, Catherine Sheldrick, "Ch.1.1-1.3. The company of readers", in Ross, Catherine Sheldrick, Lynne (E.F.) McKechnie, and Paulette M. Rothbauer, Reading Matters: What the Research Reveals about Reading, Libraries, and Community. Westport, Conn.: Libraries Unlimited, 2006. Pp.1-27.

No comments:

Post a Comment