Thursday, September 3, 2020

Party Pit*

 I've already knit about half of the list for GiftMoose this year, but it is suddenly September and I feel like I am way behind.  Admittedly, time is very weird in 2020, but I also need to worry about shipping times and well, 2020 is weird in multiple, BINGO-game-ending ways.  The goal is to have everything done by the end of October.  I just ordered yarn from WEBS this week for the last few things, so there might be some deadline knitting this year.

I just started a new pair of socks last night.  About a year ago, I was wandering around Caernarfon, Wales one morning while it seemed that the rest of the city was watching a ruby game.  I stopped into the British Heart shop, just to see what they had, and found two skeins of matching color AND dye lots of Regia sock yarn.  I think they were about £1.50 each, so these were an excellent find.


While I took careful notes of exactly where I started the toe (and where I was when the next obvious color change took place), I have little faith in my ability to make a perfectly matching pair.  

I also can never decide if K1P1 ribbing is better at keeping the look of the self-stripping pattern, or if something like K5P1 would be better.

Knowing that the intended recipient of these socks likes to have roomy sock tops, I've gone with K4P2 for the leg, since I have a multiple of 6 stitches. 

I also had Some Level of Concern last night about the length of the foot.  I was about halfway through the bigger band of white and blue when it was time to start the heel.  Should I continue and finish that before starting the heel?  Should I frog and start the heel on start of the blue/white? 

Obviously, I opted to not frog and I think it was the correct decision.  This is when I almost wish I had a cast of each of the 'normal' recipients of socks, so I could make sure things fit before having finished both socks.  

Also, that ruler sticker was one of my better ideas ever.  (And I am lucky to have a friend who agreed enough to buy it for me.)  I am still sad it doesn't fit on the inside of the laptop, but there's not quite enough room between the trackpad and the keyboard or the trackpad and the edge.

This is the first pair of socks I've knit on DPNs in quite a while.  I've found that a long circular and magic loop makes trying on socks a hell of a lot easier and using US 1s means the math is the same a lot of the time.  But Regia is a thin enough yarn that I wanted to use US 0s and I don't have a circular in that size.  The downside to using DPNs is that I have a lot of DPNs, so I don't have to finish this pair before I start another pair...

*the Hold Steady

No comments:

Post a Comment