In retrospect, doing an arm workout and then sanding a door wasn't the smartest move. But it did mean that a dirty, dusty self wasn't doing pushups and getting dust all over the new-to-us antique rug we just got. So I guess some points for planning there? (I probably lose an equal, if not more, number of points for vacuuming up the sanding dust without making sure there was a bag in the shop vac.)
I am trying to make a coat tree thing from an old door. Sanded the flat parts, trying a paint and varnish stripper on the nooks and crannies that would be a nightmare to sand by hand. Might have to try another one, as the first attempt with this one didn't do a lot.
I've gotten UFOs all over the house. Door coat tree is taking up space in the garage. We're building a custom crate topper for the pupperdo's crate. I need to get something for the top, cut it (or have it cut) to size, attach it, then fill all the nooks and gaps, sand, and paint. That's taking up space in the conservatory.
We also picked out a cool old beam that will become a custom, narrow table for behind the couch. It just needs to be cut in half and lightly sanded, then finished with something like 17 coats of poly. It has a beautiful old patina that I don't want to sand off, but it also is a bit rough. I figure enough coats of poly and it won't snag on the fabric on the back of the couch. Oh, and I need to find and order legs for it.
We also picked up a cool, old writing desk shortly after we first got here. Someone removed the old, small knobs and installed big brass handles on the drawers along the side. They did a crappy job filling the holes left from the knobs and of course drilled new holes for the handles. It won't look perfect, but we've got replacement knobs. I need to take one of the drawers with me to get stain for the knobs and possibily the drawer fronts. I plan on wood filler, light sand, re-stain, and ignoring the patch job. Worse case, we have to paint the desk. I hate painting beautiful wood, but some people are jerks.
Thinking of the number of wood-based projects that are lounging around the house... The two pairs of socks, one tank top, and hat that are languishing in the WIP pile don't seem like a major deal at all.
I am also more than halfway done the cuff of the second sock of one of those pairs, so that's close to being finished.
*Johnny Cash, the man in black
No comments:
Post a Comment