We spent a week driving around Scotland because Scotland is pretty and we have so far always had nice weather while there. (Sometimes nicer weather in Scotland than the neighbors report back at home.) And also because back in March when we had to cancel our planned April trip to Scotland with friends, we had higher hopes for September. Guess we really didn't know yet what a shitshow 2020 would be.
I managed to knit most of a selfish sock in the car - we drove around 1500 miles. I'm debating mirroring the chart for the second sock. The pattern is written for top-down but I evidently have gone to what earlier me would consider the dark-side and knit socks toe-up now. However, I think the personality traits that has me debating a mirroring of the charts would have done the same thing for top-down socks, even if I hadn't gone to the dark side.
I also managed to knit the entire skein of red Berocco vintage that I got for a firetruck scarf. I like that it is garter stitch, I do not like that it is not reversible as the pattern is written. So I am trying to figure out how to knit or crochet a ladder (well, two, actually) so I can sew it on both sides. The fact that there is a crochet stitch called ladder stitch is not super helpful. But that's one of the three remaining GiftMoose presents I have to knit, so progress. And a garter stitch scarf is simple enough to knit while gaping at the beauty of Scotland.
I also finished knitting, since we got home, a tiny Flax sweater for the incoming baby of friends', as I was able to talk them into purchasing the Whisky in a Teacup colorway from Gauge Dye Works and shipping the yarn to me.
There's just enough yarn left over that I am now knitting a tiny Barley Light hat for their sprog as well. The sweater did not go to Scotland with us, as I had finished the body the day before we left and didn't think two sleeves would take long enough to bother with the packing.
I've asked someone on Etsy to make custom cloud buttons from polymer clay, as that seemed the perfect button for an adorable (but not twee!) rainbow sweater. I am debating if the hat will need a button as well?
*related to the ram statue in the center of Moffat, one of the delightful places we stayed in Scotland.



No comments:
Post a Comment