The Specs:
Pattern: Woodland Walk Socks by This Handmade Life
Yarn: Teton Yarn Company Handdyed Sock in Mermaid
Amount: 0.75 of a skein, or about 74gm, or about 324 yards
Needles: US 1, 2.25mm circular with magic loop
Size: Women's 8.5ish
For: me!
Start to Finish: Sept 20, 2020 to Oct 13, 2020
Notes: I started these on the drive to Scotland for our anniversary/my birthday trip. They made excellent car knitting once I had memorized the leave pattern, which didn't take too long.
I, of course, knit toe-up, so the leaves fall up my socks instead of down, as the pattern is written for cuff-down. Standard star toe with increases on right of first stitch on one sock and to the left of the first stitch on the other sock. I admit that I have to look really closely to determine that there is a difference between the toes, but I still try to do that with every pair of socks.
I also either reversed the chart or I started halfway up the chart for the second sock.
I had 66 stitches on the needles for these. No idea what the pattern called for, but that's the beauty of socks with a decorative pattern up only part of the front - extra stitches do not need to be accounted for. Standard shadow wrapped short row heel, 10 rounds of ribbing for the cuff before I used JSSBO.
If I were to knit these again, I'd add 4-6 stitches of plain stockinette between the pattern and the heel turn, to push the decorative part more to the top of the foot and not the side. They are perfectly fine as they are, but it would make for a slightly more polished sock.
These knit up fast - I knit the first sock on the drive to/from Scotland, while finishing the cuff during a Zoom baby shower for a friend. Second sock was started on Saturday the 10 and I just had to finish the last repeat and the cuff today, as well as weaving in ends.
I really love the colors of this yarn and it knit up beautifully. Super glad I like the yarn as I am fairly certain I have another 5 skeins of different colors in the stash...





No comments:
Post a Comment