I have been watching old seasons of the Great British Bake Off because this is 2020 and the warm, comfy, fuzzy feels that Mary Berry and Mel and Sue provides is just about perfect. I am on Collection 2 as Netflix orders in a completely odd and random way (and as they call it the Great British Baking Show), which is the season that Frances The Overachiever was on, with her jam sandwich cake in the shape of a sandwich and her hidden squirrel tree trunk cake. She gets called out for style over substance a lot over the season, if memory serves me correctly.
Which is why I am thinking "stupid substance over style anyway, Paul" as I work on a Bob's Burgers Louise Hat for an infant.
I knit the ears rather tightly, hoping that a stiffer and thicker fabric wouldn't have quite enough drape to droop. But I couldn't think of safe way to ensure that rabbit ears on an infant hat would be both Upright and Safe.
They seem to stay up, if held Just So. Knees make reasonable head-shaped objects when needed, because this hat certainly doesn't fit my giant head or the dog's head.
Since infants tend to grow and I am me, I am making additional hat(s). We shall see how many hats I can get from three balls of superwash wool. (Baby stuff = superwash. Most of the time.)
For the large toddler/small adult hat, I used US 6s (4mm) needles and 90 stitches. Provisional cast on, knit 10-ish rounds, then knit the ear flaps with waste yarn while purling the rest of the round, then another 10-ish rounds before I knit the provisional cast on with the current round, to create a nice folded brim. Standard swirl decreases for the top of the hat, and I just finished the ear flaps. Because picking out the waste yarn also results in one extra stitch on one side, one decrease, then basic ear flap to decreases, with the last four stitches becoming the icord cordy thing that Louise has on her hat.
My original idea (from LSG, actually) for the ears was the plastic canvas for needlepoint, cut to shape. Unfortunately, it seems that the extra plastic - which weighs about half a gram - is too much weight for the narrow base. Sewing the ears as wide as I could, with a bend in the bottom as well, worked best, but lacking a good way to attach the plastic canvas to the main part of the hat, it just didn't quite work. And I am not sure how well that would stand up to a kid chewing on the hat they have ripped off their head, as kids tend to do.
I'm working on the ears now for the second hat and again have dropped a needle size to US 5s (3.75mm) needles to hope that they stand up on their own. I think laundry starch might help.
I am Annoyed because normally, I put all this shit in Rav but Ravelry TPTB are being assholes about their site redesign and I don't like adding to their database. But that means I'm still struggling to find a good place to put yarn and needles and notes of how many rounds to knit before starting decreases on an ear flap.
And hence this post.
I am also annoyed because I have a google photos album of knitting and yet, I cannot find it when Blogger (a google product) is looking at my google photos albums and thus, I have to dig through dog pictures to find the knitting pictures.
Clearly the solution is to make sure the dog is in all the knitting pictures and vice versa, yes?



No comments:
Post a Comment