Wednesday, November 11, 2020

FO: Fire Truck Scarf

 The Specs:

Pattern: Frugal Haus Knitting Fire Truck Neck Scarf
Yarn: Berocco Vintage
Amount: 1 skein
Needles: whatever the ball band recommended
For: nephew!
Notes:  Ugh. This was the project that never ended.  Too fiddly to be fun without being fiddly enough to be pleased with progress. 

I do not like how it is knit in garter stitch, as that makes it one-sided.  And it is a scarf.  I believe I have complained about this before, but time has not lessened my grump factor in this regard.



If I made this again, it would be a stockinette tube.  Still would lay flat, but would be easier to add the adornments and the like.

I cheated and used large black buttons for the wheels.  I could not bring myself to seam a wheel that was knit flat.

I ended up making an icord tube for the cab partition for the back part of the scarf.

To make it reversible, I attached a ladder to both sides, as well as truck window, headlight, emergency light, and wheels. The garter stitch part meant that the ladder rungs had to be afterthought, rather than knit into the scarf itself.  I ended up crocheting a chain up at certain parts.  I could carry the yarn across the bottom, and make both chains run up the side, so I could get two rungs with only two ends to weave in.  The icord makes for a good place to hide ends, so I was very grateful for that.

I am not super pleased with it.  It looks a bit wonky and not very polished.  Attaching the ladder sides was difficult because of the double-sided aspect and the garter stitch and not wanting to make things too lose or too taut. 

But it is for a kid who loves fire trucks, so I don't think he will much care.  Better pictures to come when I can bare to face it.  I am terrified to give it a bath and have the red yarn bleed onto the white.  Should have swatched, but I was on vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment