Which is why I think most of my recent sock projects have been started on a Saturday afternoon. It reminds me of the days when I hand-wound yarn in the car prior to seeing a movie in a movie theater. (I knit a two color striped scarf in a movie, once. I am sure I made mistakes, but worth it.)
Most recent is a pair of what I call boring man socks, as they must be neutral colors and nothing too fancy pattern-wise. And while there are many variations to ribbing, eventually, they all blend together.
See? Boring. Marbled Black and white yarn, with a mix of cotton and nylon and wool. Perfect boot socks with a k3p1 ribbing.
I find it highly entertaining that I used to hate knitting socks toe up and now I convert patterns into being toe up. It allows me to try socks on and to use my sock ruler, which I am slowly figuring out. And it means I can use alllllll the yarn.
It also allows me to do things like change the increases on each and slightly shift the ribbing from one side to another. For this sock, the ribbing starts with p1 and ends with k2 across the top of the foot. For the second sock, I will reverse it. I am fairly certain that the recipient will never notice but it pleases me as I knit.
But even now, with a large number of toe up socks completed, I find starting toes fiddly. I like a round, star toe, so starting with only 6 stitches means things are fiddly and DPNs often fall out. But with only 6 stitches to start, it doesn't frustrate me as much to rip it all out and try again when I have issues.
I expect to start the second sock on or before Saturday, so the cycle shall repeat itself.
3 months is about 12 weeks, so I will need at least yarn for 6 pairs of socks. Just in case.
No comments:
Post a Comment