Monday, March 29, 2021

Advanced Planning Is My Forte and Yet..

 I am prepping for a transatlantic move this summer and that means being separated from my household goods for about 3 (or more) months.

Which requires careful planning, so that I have plenty of knitting to occupy me for those 3 months.  This is a tall order!  I've been avoiding (mostly) buying yarn because I have so much good stuff that I want to use.  So sticking to my goal of cold sheeping and carefully plotting knitting seems required.

I have my standard yearly knitting obligations - socks for my mother and for the Weirder Half's parents.  I often try for socks for his sister and brother-in-law as well. Unfortunately, I've already finished socks for his father (and sister).  

I pulled out two yarns for socks for me that I'm super excited about.  Must Stash Yarns Stripping Sock in Martian Rainbow, because some days you need some color in your life. 

must stash yarn in martian rainbow

close up of must stash yarn in martian rainbow
 
And what is happier than a bright rainbow, I ask you?

I've also a skein of Katia Sock Seta Tweed II, which I used last year for GiftMoose socks and rather liked.  So the Weirder Half is getting a pair of socks in that in the very excited color of .. dull red.  It is improvement over neutrals, so I am still looking forward to it.  Men's 10.5 socks tend to take a little longer.


I also have a sock blank from the amazingly talented dyer Alexandra the Art of Yarn in a gray gradient that I am looking forward to playing with.  I just need to figure out how to wind the yarn, since it is two strands knit together for the blank.  That one is gonna be for me.

Way in the before times, I started the Mary, Queen of Socks from RedScot.  I knew I didn't have time to finish them by the test knitting deadline, but I made it to the heel of the first sock.  They are intended for my mother.  I started them in some Socks that Rock lightweight and having picked them back up again, I don't think it is a good match of pattern and yarn.  So I started again in some West Yorkshire Spinners Signature 4-Ply and it is much better.  Unfortunately, the size large is too big in that yarn, so I need to frog and re-knit from the toe.  And since there's a lot of cables and the like, I am not looking forward to it.  However, those socks should take a while due to the cables and patterning.

Which leaves me with a sweater.  For me.  I think I have it narrowed down, but I am not 100% certain yet.

I am also debating a black, grey, and white hat from some of the left-overs from the Star Wars hat from last GiftMoose.  Must ponder.

I have a month or so before the stash is all packed up, so I just need to make decisions and be sure to wind the relevant yarn by that point.





No comments:

Post a Comment