Friday, March 21, 2008

Decision Time, Baby

Blargh.  I hate making decisions about big stuff.  Little things?  No problem.  What should I wear today?  Well, that's easy - the same basic thing I wore yesterday: jeans, t-shirt or tank top, hoodie.  Occasionally I'll really change things up and throw on a nice hooded cardigan sweater, but not too often.

Grad school, however, is a Big Decision.  An adult decision, actually.  I will have to move to go to grad school.  And since three of the four schools are NOT located close to home and I've kinda already decided against the school located close to home, it seems that I have decided to move myself and my stuff some 11-12 hours from home.

Illinois or Indiana?  I think Illinois.  Hell, I've been seriously inquiring about an apartment in Illinois.  On paper, the place looks great.  One bedroom, hard wood floors.  New stainless steel appliances.  A dishwasher.  Pet friendly, free parking, located close to not only campus, but downtown as well.  On the bus route and students get free passage on the city buses with their student id card.  Furnished options, so that I don't have to attempt to move furnishings and/or purchase them once I arrive in Illinois.

However, I received pictures of the unit(s) today from the landlord.  And uh, all those awesome things above?  Minus the location, the number of bedrooms, and the fact that the floors are wood, all of the above is a giant lie.  The apartments are, to put it bluntly, complete and total dumps.

It seems that they took control of the building in the last three months or so and are planning massive upgrades to the units in July.  Well, July is only one month before August, which means that they have slightly less than two months to paint, refinish hardwood floors, install new white cabinets with dark (maybe even granite) countertops, plus a dishwasher, a microwave hood, a gas stove, and a fridge with ice maker.  Plus completely re-doing the bathroom with a new toliet, sink, tile, and bathtub/shower.    That's a lot of work and not a lot of time.  What happens if they don't get it done in time?  Do I have to live in a construction zone for a few months?  Cause that would NOT BE COOL.

However, if they DO manage to pull it all off, I will have a really nice apartment that includes free parking and allows me to take my cat with me and get a kitten while out there so Kit has company (and someone else to hate).  If I want to spend $625 a month in rent plus $125 in utilities - gas, water, and electric, I could have an eat in kitchen and a 20x20' porch as part of a second floor apartment.  Not to mention the cost of tv and internet.

I dunno, it is a lot of money.  Of course, finding an apartment that has a washer and dryer located on site, if not in my apartment, plus a dishwasher plus free parking plus pet friendly... that hasn't been easy.

I stumbled across this place on Craig's List.  And I fell in love with the pictures and what the apartment included.  However, the apartment doesn't yet include all that stuff, but they promise that it will.

A lease is binding.  At best, I could hope to sublet and eat the difference if I really really needed to get out of the whole thing.

I dunno.  I know what I want, but I am not sure if it is a good idea to sign a lease on an apartment without ever actually SEEING the apartment.  But... waiting til May?  That's a long time to wait and I KNOW that the apartment will not be available then.

And I doubt that they'd let me out of the whole thing if I visited and didn't like it.

If only they actually answered the phone, rather than replying  (quickly) to e-mail.  That would make me feel a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment