Thursday, January 24, 2008

Why I Will Never Fall Asleep before 3am for Spring 2008

(picture at the bottom for those who wish to skim.  Not that I blame you.)


This semester is going to kill me.  At the very least, it is going to kill my sleep cycle.

I only have class three days a week.  Three days in a row, even.  A three hour class on religious conversion in the Early Modern world of the Middle East on Monday.  An hour class on research methods on Tuesday, followed by a frantic dash  across campus to my car to meet a classmate and drive 1.9miles to the local YMCA for an hour and a half of rock climbing.  And a three hour class on ethnicity and class on Wednesday.

There's also a web-based class, for which I have five exams and two papers.   Oh, and attending five events held at my place of employment.  No, I see no problems with saying "sorry, can't work then.  Instead, I have to spend my paycheck on tickets for that event."  (just a tad bitter about that one, huh.)

There's also that pesky little thing called my "undergraduate honors thesis."  Which is due April 18th.  People, I HAVE NOT YET STARTED.  I have to write 40? 80? however many pages by April 18th.  Good news is, binding margins are 1.5" on the left hand side.  I shall love that half an inch, I imagine.

I think ten pages a week until spring break is TOTALLY reasonable and doable and yes?  No?  Should I just go cry in a corner now and forget all about it?

The research methods class, while also promising to be very boring and good lord, that woman talks a lot, seems like it will help me with my thesis.  The class is designed for honors students to have help with the research part of their thesis, or even deciding on their thesis topic.  Hopefully, that shall provide a nice kick in the butt to get working.

There's also the whole "applying to grad school" thing.  Because I decided to apply rather late in the game, I didn't have time to study and take the GREs.  I found four highly respected and ALA accredited programs that do NOT require GRE scores from students with a certain GPA (or higher).  Universities of Illinois, Maryland, and Wisconsin and the Indiana University.  My first pick is decidedly Illinois, and of course, that's the only one that's complete as of yet.  Of course, that's also the school with the earliest deadline and such. After that.. I don't know.  Maryland is close to TheBoy and rent, for a not-nicely-located-to-class studio apartment will be some $800 a month.

Illinois?  Three blocks from campus, hard-wood floors, fire place, dishwasher, utilities included, and I can have a cat?  $550 a month.  For a one bedroom.  That I wouldn't have to share.  And includes parking.  AND a washing machine and dryer.  That's just from scanning Craig's List, people.  Imagine what I could find if I tried!

Of course, there's that part about whole writing essays and trying to pimp yourself, at which I suck.  "Accept me because otherwise, I will live in a cardboard box.  Also, I can read."  That's pretty much what I want to write, but somehow, I don't feel the admissions committee is going to love it.

In summary:
Four day weekend = awesome
Three day week, with classes starting at 2:30pm = not getting up before noon
Thesis = the death of me
Applying to grad school = pimpage of self, at which self sucks

Time for a kitty picture?


(This is Kit, known as the World's Most Opinionated Cat.  I'm surprised her mouth was shut in this shot, because she was NOT happy with the camera in her face.  Hence the squinted eye.  And the tail, which was most decidedly twitching.)

No comments:

Post a Comment