Monday, May 14, 2007

Finished Object: Waffleweave Socks

The Specs:
Pattern: Mostly my own, but I stole the waffleweave pattern from Thermal, at Knitty. Ten rounds of knit 2, purl 2 ribbing, two rounds of purl, then started pattern down leg. Short row heel, some sort of toe -- I don't know the name but it involves decreases, not all of them at the sides. I dislike pointy toes, I like rounded toes.
Yarn: Austermann Step with Aloe Vera and Jojoba oil. 75% superwash wool, 25% nylon.
Colors: 16, some blues and greys with an underlay of white throughout. I really like the color pattern with the stitch pattern.
Needles: US size 1s, bamboo, for the very top of the cuff; plastic US size 2s for the rest of the socks.
Start to Finish: Um.. Good question. I started sometime in the beginning of April, finished today on May 14th, 2007. I'm getting faster at this whole knitting thing, it seems.
For: My mother
Notes: I really like this yarn. It is smooth and soft and fluffy. The yarn stretches a bit when knitty, so the resulting fabric is slightly loose and nice and fluffy. If I went down a needle size, I'm sure that would not happen. But it was fun to knit with, even though I don't think the aloe vera really had any effect. But my mother will like them, so that's ok. I really do like short row heels in garter stitch, but I ought to start experimenting with other heels.

A close up of the stitch pattern:

This is what it looks like, on a foot:



The color is probably most accurate here, in the cuffs of the socks:

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed that this yarn makes my hands feel a little softer. And Elder Son (with the sinus ice cream?) Say," " Well, what he said is something I won't repeat. Just say he wasn't amused.

    ReplyDelete