Monday, March 26, 2007

NYC - 2007

The Urmila and I visited New York City this weekend. I was very disappointed to miss the Yarn Harlot on Thursday, but NYC is a 5 hour drive from school, so that wasn't quite going to happen.

We did, however, visit the Museum of Arts and Design and saw the exhibit on Radical Lace and Subversive Knitting, which was amazing. There was a dress (that would have fit me!) knitted out of some 800+ dollar bills. Someone else cut a fender, a hood, and a few other pieces of abandoned cars into a form of lace that was quite pretty. I was surprised at how small the museum was, but I think it is moving to a new location sometime in 2008. We stopped at the MoMA store as well, and I got a print of Munch's "The Scream," an all-black dubber ruck, a post card of the "OOF" painting I loved so much last year, and a post card of a Dali print.



Following that, we had lunch (for less than $10) and wandered over to the theater to see Avenue Q. I loved the show and would see it again, if not for the price. Amazing and funny and true and many other things. The show brings up some very controversial topics, such as homosexuality and racism, but handled the issues in such a way to demonstrate that yes, they recognized the problem, yes, they knew that they sometimes added to the problem, and yes, they don't have all the answers. More conservative audience members might have been uncomfortable with puppet sex or a gay character, but I think that's to be expected.



After the show, we wandered around Times Square, ducked into the ESPNZone, visited Barbie's House in the HUGE Toys R Us, and other such touristy stuff until we were hungry, when we stopped into John's (on 44th) for dinner. Very yummy garlic bread and a bruschetta pizza cost us again, less than $10 each. We went to Dylan's Candy Bar afterwards and picked up the same five bars of chocolate as we did last year.



Urmila had picked out two bars she had wanted to try, but they were too far away to make it there, grab a drink, then run over to Dean & Deluca's for Italian Sodas, and then find the bus again. So we stopped in a P.J. Morgans and ordered drinks without being carded. Very strange feeling and neither of us looks 21. Appletinis continue to rock my socks. As do caramel Italian Sodas.



We didn't get back until 2am, so the weekend was pretty much over by that point. Friday night was spent with dinner (chicken with sage and thyme, served over rice with cream of chicken sauce poured over), brownies, and a bottle of wine while watching V for Vendetta, as Urmila had not seen the movie.

We're driving to Cleveland this weekend, which means I get to see the Yarn Harlot! In theory, I could see her in Pittsburgh on Friday and OH on Saturday, but I think the Urmila would cry, as she is NOT a knitter and often says "I need new friends" when we all start talking knitting. So, just Saturday and I need to get directions to the bookstore. I am SO excited, but slightly sad, since I left my copy of "Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much" at home. I'll have to be content with taking Knitting Rules.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you're going to miss Pitts. Your friend could keep my husband company. He is willing to drive and pay for the B&B but isn't interested in sitting in a room full of knitters, even if it is a bookstore! It will be interesting to compare notes. Don't forget your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. about knitting rules ... in order to take it, you'll probably need to get it back from me.
    call me before class tomorrow and i'll remember to bring it. otherwise, poor alison will be up ohio creek without a knitting book.. or something like that. ^_^

    ReplyDelete