Thursday, March 30, 2006

life taught me to die

So, summer is sneaking upon us. And for most college students, summer = work so one can afford life during the school year. Little things like food and shampoo and rent and oh, right- tuition too. Of course, I had to pick one of the most expensive state universities in the US. $9000 a semester, not counting books and things like shampoo? Yeah, fun.

But anyway- summer, work, making/saving money.

Last summer, I spent the mornings working the horse barn, evenings working at Wawa, and weekends split between attempting to catch up on sleep, the barn, Wawa, and helping a family friend who is blind with his mail. (Apparently, blindness is not a good reason to not pay one's bills. Who knew?) The barn doesn't pay; I work there so I don't have to pay them to ride. And I love it. I don't always love it at 8am when the alarm clock goes off, but around 9:05 I cheer up. I'm outside, in the sun (lurve me some sun) and I know what needs to be done, how to do it, and can work at my own pace. And later, I get to ride. Maybe even as many as 5 horses in a day.

This summer, I'm hoping to avoid Wawa. Love (two or three of) the people, love (three or four of) the customers, hate just about everything else. Especially the getting up at 8am after getting home at 11:45pm and sitting around for at least an hour, attempting to fall asleep part. I'm taking a class over the summer to help out with the double major, single minor, and possible honors college thesis hell that the next two years will be. (Ok, 24 classes for the two majors, minor and gen ed. Figure about 3 credits a class. That's 72 credits. In 8 semesters, that would be 18 credits a semester. And nothing extra. Plus, a thesis that I'd have to write. A THESIS, people!)

But... parking next year already cost me $1,09.00. And I currently have less than $200 in the bank account, to get me to about mid-May. So... I need money. (yeah, and so does the rest of the world. I know, I know, I know.)

I might... might... end up living at the barn (rent-free, woohoo!) and getting paid to work there. The two people who lived on the property last summer and this winter moved out and really, it is a good idea to have someone around to take care of things that pop up, like missing horses. Two bedroom, kitchen, living room, and random room with a fireplace apartment- probably all to myself, mostly rent free.

I just don't want to get my hopes up, in case I'm NOT needed to stay at the barn and/or they can't match $7/hour/40 hours/week. But.. maybe I could live there, work there most days, and work at Wawa 2-3 days a week. Now that the idea has been placed in my head, I like it. I like it a lot. Well, minus the part where I realize I'm gonna get really freaking lonely and my mother will pout the entire summer.

12:14am of the day my 6 page paper is due. 20% of my grade in a class I need an A in, to get my 4.0 for the semester. (Yes, I'm a Type A personality.) (and I like parentheses.) I'm on the top of page 5, with one person yet to comment on and then a conclusion to add. And somehow, I need to make the introduction fit the rest of the paper, thesis statement in particular.

In other news, the sock is completed. My very first sock! It looks hand-made, but I'm ok with that. I pretty much made up the pattern as I went along, so I'm not too surprised either. Next time, I'll try a knit 3/purl 1 pattern, rather than knit 2, purl 2 and continue the pattern onto the top of the foot. And maybe try a different toe.

But first, I need to knit another sock to match the first one. And maybe finish this paper and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment