Monday, March 27, 2006

Band-aids

If I were smart and hard working, I whould be editing a paper that's due on Thursday.

Clearly, I am not all that smart and hard working.

My family always gathers at my aunt and uncle's house for holidays such as Labor Day, 4th of July, Memorial Day, and Thanksgiving. Last year, my almost-sister Tina brought her boyfriend, Brandon, along for the day. Her mother, visiting from Arizona, also came along. And somewhere in the weeks before that particular trip, Tina had learned to knit from her mother.

She finished one project, started on another. My sister, Tina, Brandon, and I ended up bored - and at Micheal's. (We celebrate holidays early. Something about avoiding traffice and time and a half or double time.) Brandon had decided if Tina could knit, so could he. He struggled all afternoon with US size 4 needles and really crappy yarn (100% plastic). But he eventually figure it out.

Me? I got some awesome soft, fuzzy wool/acrlyic blend and knit me a scarf, learning both knit AND purl from the help of Tina, her mother, my mother, and my aunt.

Scarf curls in on itself, as stockenett stitch seems to want to do. But I knitted it. All by myself. And somehow, there were the same number of stitches when I finished as when I had started.

Then life set in- work, work, more work, sleep, work. Then school. I had brought my yarn and needles to school by mistake, not planning to knit and then stumbled across the Yarn Harlot.

Since then, I dragged a friend to Micheal's (hey, it is near Walmart and he wanted bagels. Plus, I was driving.) Bought some yummy yarn and more needles. Knitted another scarf. Then a cable purse, once I figured out how to cable.

Now, I'm working on a pair of socks. Well, in theory, a pair of socks. As TheBoy would say, I currently only have a heel/ankle warmer, but it shall be a sock. See?














Now, as I'm attempting to figure out what my thesis statement should actually say to reflect what the paper ended up being about (what, you're supposed to write your paper based on the thesis statement? Yeah, right) I was knitting a round on my sock.

And discoverd that my yarn smells like band-aids.

No comments:

Post a Comment